Freshly is a meal delivery service that promises to deliver chef-cooked, healthy meals to your door. Read our Freshly review today to see if it’s worth the price.
What Is Freshly?
Freshly is a meal delivery service that delivers ready-to-eat meals to your front door. All Freshly dishes can be prepared in under three minutes. They basically come fully prepared – you just have to heat them in your microwave for three minutes.
Every Freshly meal is cooked by a Freshly chef. The meals are gluten-free, packed with protein, free from refined sugars, and use all natural ingredients.
Overall, Freshly promises to be fresh, healthy, and convenient. The meals are priced at around $10 each, including shipping, which is about mid to low-range in the meal delivery industry. It’s not the cheapest option available, but it’s far from the most expensive.
How Does Freshly Work?
Here’s how Freshly works:
Step 1) Choose: You choose your meals from a rotating weekly menu with over 30 different gluten-free options.
Step 2) Freshly Cooked and Delivered: Freshly’s chefs prepare and cook your meals, then deliver them fresh (never frozen).
Step 3) Enjoy: The meals arrive at your doorstep fully prepared and ready to eat in under three minutes.
Freshly differentiates itself from the competition by delivering meals in fresh, never-frozen form. The meals are ready to eat in under three minutes after heating them in your microwave.
Freshly is also unique for its gluten-free meals: you don’t need to order from a special gluten-free menu. Everything is gluten-free.
Freshly offers four different pricing plans, ranging based on the number of meals you wish to eat per week. Pricing and plans include:
- 4 Meals Per Week ($12.50 per meal, $49.99 per week)
- 6 Meals Per Week ($9.99 per meal, $59.99 per week)
- 9 Meals Per Week ($9.99 per meal, $89.99 per week)
- 12 Meals Per Week ($8.99 per meal, $107.99 per week)
All plans include shipping.
What Kinds Of Foods Can You Eat With Freshly?
Freshly sells a range of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Here are some of the most popular items on the Freshly menu:
Lunches and Dinners
- Baked Penne Marina with Italian Sausage
- Buffalo Chicken Breast with Loaded Cauliflower
- Steak Peppercorn with Sautéed Carrots and Asparagus
- Italian-Style Meatballs with Ziti Marinara
- Grilled Chicken Risotto
- Baked Penne Marinara with Sautéed Zucchini and Spinach
- Penne Bolognese
- Chicken & Rice Pilaf with Green Beans & Carrots
- Homestyle Meatloaf with Creamy Potatoes and Spinach
- Sicilian-style Chicken Parm with Broccoli
- Green Chile and Sausage Frittata
- Homestyle Breakfast Platter
- BLT Omelette
- Denver Omelette
- Garden Omelette
Freshly Reviews: What Do Customers Have to Say About Freshly?
Freshly has average to good reviews online. The company has an average rating of 2.5 stars out of 5 on Yelp, while Trustpilot gives the company a rating of 7.8 out of 10 (which is a “Great”). Here are some of the pros and cons we read from real Freshly reviewers:
- Good, easy-to-make food at a reasonable price
- All you need to do is heat it up, then it’s ready to eat
- Good portions (just right to fill you up, but not too much to disrupt your weight loss plan or make you feel fat)
- Meals come with nutrition facts posted on the label
- Good promotional deals (about $40 for 6 meals when you sign up through the promo)
- Easy way to get varied foods in your diet
- Good customer service
- Easy to use website
- Nice packaging and labeling
- Convenient shipping (included in the cost, no hidden shipping fees)
- Some people are disappointed with the foods, and find the meals “bland and tasteless”
- Meals are typically microwaved, so many people compare the meals to other microwaved foods (like the ones you find in the frozen foods aisle)
- Some people find the meals to be overcooked, particularly the vegetables
- Some customers felt they were taken advantage of during the trial period, which offered one promotional price upfront before automatically signing them up for the higher retail price
Freshly is a New York City-based meal delivery service. The company was founded in 2012.
As of June 2017, the company had raised $107 million in 4 rounds from 7 investors. The latest round, concluding in June 2017, consisted of $77 million in Series C funding.
The company describes its employees as “a team of health-conscious entrepreneurs, doctors and professional chefs dedicated to making healthy eating and achieving your health and fitness goals easier than ever.”
Freshly is led by CEO and Co-Founder Michael Wystrach as well as Chief Product Officer and Co-Founder Carter Comstock.
Ultimately, Freshly is one of America’s largest and best-known meal delivery services. The meals are available at an average price compared to other meal delivery services, with customers paying about $10 per meal, including shipping, which is mid-range in the food delivery business.
Unfortunately, Freshly’s reviews online are average at best: many customers complain about the quality of the food. The food arrives at your address. You microwave it, and you enjoy a quality similar to a microwave meal. Some customers find that the price was too high compared to the value they received.
Of course, everyone’s experience will vary. You can find hundreds of reviews online where customers call the food “delicious”, and praise the platform for delivering a unique menu of 30+ gluten-free foods every week.
Overall, most customers seem to have a good experience with everything related to Freshly except for the food. They say positive things about the customer service and the ordering experience, but say the food tastes bland and underwhelming.
However, at this price range, you’re having freshly-cooked meals delivered to your door ready-to-eat. Consider checking out the Freshly trial to see how you like the food – but make sure you’re aware that the price jumps up to the regular retail price after your trial is over.